It is not easy to “become familiar” on the field. It takes a good three to four years of hard, hard work. The basics to remember follow here:
- Exalt the Savior: God is to be honored through our actions and attitudes. We are not here to change church procedures or philosophies, but to be a servant to the pastor and his people.
- Equip the Saints: The evangelist is to “equip” God’s people for the “work of service” (Eph. 4:12). Christians should be encouraged to abandon spiritual infantilism and become that “mature man” (Eph. 4:13).
- Exemplify Stewardship: Please be prepared for financial “lean years” as you begin on the evangelistic field. However, good stewardship of time, talent, and treasures will eventually produce a fruitful ministry.
- Expound the Scriptures: If the beginning evangelist will commit himself to the task of interpreting God’s Word correctly, he will never lack for opportunities to preach, teach, exhort, and expound. If the evangelist will take care of his depth in God, God will take care of the width of his ministry.
- Expect the Supernatural: As an evangelist, you have every right to expect God to confirm His Word with signs following (Acts 8). I encourage you to pray for the sick and believe God to answer the fervent prayer of the righteous man (James 5).
- Evangelize the Sinner: The lost-ness of mankind requires a sense of urgency within the evangelist, mobilizing them to do everything possible to reach this world for Christ.
- Edify the Servant: Take time for yourself. When an evangelist stops growing, his ministry starts dying. I encourage you to read books and expose yourself to quality preaching, leadership, evangelism, and a variety of other subjects.
Janet Boynes founded Janet Boynes Ministries in Maple Grove, MN in 2006. She authored the books: Called Out- A Former Lesbian's Discovery of Freedom, Arise- The Journey from Fear to Faith, and God and Sexuality-Truth & Relevance Without Compromise, which is her latest book. She challenges individuals and the church to reach out with a message of hope and restoration to the homosexual community. Her articles have appeared in Charisma Magazine,...